Monday, September 05, 2005

Has our Faith been made redundant?

We have isolated faith to the conversion experience, and so often that is the last we see of it. We have problems conveying this idea of faith to nonbelievers because we no longer have need of it.
My mother and I were talking about sharing our faith in the workplace. How do you have a workplace testimony? This is an all too familiar question. As we were talking though, I began to think of creative ways to share her faith with people, with a time limitation of 15 minutes per encounter; that is quite a limitation when you consider how fast relationship and trust actually develop. As I was thinking though, I thought of Paul and an illustration our pastor used of the handkerchiefs and the aprons that were taken to heal the sick; they were covered with sweat and dirt, and God was using them to do extraordinary miracles. Our pastor described a scene of Paul hard at work, making his tent, when he reaches for his sweat rag, it’s gone, again, it was the third sweat rag that day to disappear. That is a workplace testimony!
I dream of a day when the power of God and Who he is flows through our daily lives, a day when our faith is not so compartmentalized, a day when who God is and who we are because of Him is a seamless connection. That who He is can be communicated almost effortlessly as we are obedient. Today is not that day... but tomorrow could be.

3 comments:

Michael Schellman said...

TJ, you are an awesome writer - This was a great post - this is an awesome blog - YOU ROCK ! ! !

T.J. said...

When you say God only used a handful of people are you talking about a "god-sized" hand? :>) The bible is full of people that God used, Paul was used to bring the gospel to the gentiles, but when he arrived in Rome he found a church already present. Who set up this church? There were hundreds,maybe thousands of unnamed people that God was using to spread the gospel message. God won't use egotistical people, all I can do is say, "Here Am I,Send me" It is God's good pleasure to accept my offering or not. Just a quick response to get the ball rolling, I will think more, and respond after I have had some sleep.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about what MyBoringDarkness wrote above. I think that often we are unaware of how God is using us. He uses the wicked to teach the followers (remember Jonah and his surfing adventure)? The wicked and lowly are often used (not an excuse to be wicked, however).

Yes, if we are looking to SEE evidence of how God uses us, we might be an unhappy person, because we are unable to see. Your life, your sweat rag, your influience is your testamony. It should be a part of yourself and WHO you are, not an external putting on of a thing.

This is where I struggle. Between the thing that's been put on and what is real. Right now, the real thing is VERY private and limited from the outside view. I cannot be what I've known to be in the past... external, because for me it becomes the intent to impress, rather then owning the thing.

MUM

Iceland

WordTris